Re: Help with Samba+Windows+IP-Masq

Mario Olimpio de Menezes wrote:

> Hi,
>
>         I'm needing help with the following:
>
> ---DNS/GateWay/Firewall---backbone---NT--Win95---SubLans---etc
>                              Linux w/IP-Masq (3 3Com590)
>                               |  |
>                              /    \
>                             |      |
>                          Windows  Windows
>                              Machines
>
>         My problem is how to allow the Windows machines bellow my
> Linux Box access Win95/NT/Win3.11 machines on other sub LANs?
>         The strange topology is out of my scope. I just set the Linux
> Box to allow the windows machines access Internet. Now people are
> putting information (forms, reports, etc) on Win95/Win311 machines and
> the windows users of my sub-LAN can't access it. Yes, I'm trying to
> convince them to use ftp, but ... they are Windows users...
>         The basic needed connection is simply to connect to share
> disk drive. (Something like:
> File_manager.Disk.Connect_another_network_unit.
>         The machines outside my Linux LAN do not use fixed IP; they
> have a dhcp server so I can't use smbclient from Linux to connect to
> them.
>         Is there a way to have the netbeui (is this?) protocol (?)
> to pass from one netcard to other in my Linux box?

Win95 uses broadcast in order to find machines when you look in the
"network neighborhood". The broadcast must not be getting through
IPMasq (I don't think IPMasq handles UDP at all, but I'm guessing).
On your Win95 machines behind the Linux box, go to their Network
Properties and edit the TCP/IP properties. Enter the IP address of
your NT box on the other side as a WINS server (if it's running the
WINS server). Your users probably won't see the machines on the other
side come up in the network neighborhood, but they will be able to
access the shares by name explicitly.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com