Matlab 5.1 and Debian 1.3.1 problem

I've just upgraded from Debian Linux 1.2 to 1.3.1, and I notice
now that anytime Matlab5.1 wants to do a shell command (e.g.
unix('ls') and so forth) I get

if:badly formed number

messages.

In fact, enough of these happen that (for example) I can no
longer fire up netscape from the menu at the top of plot windows.

This seems to be a problem with the default shell (I use tcsh
normally). If I hack $MATLAB/bin/matlab to force an export
of SHELL=/bin/sh it cuts down on some (but not all) of these
errors. For example, they are still there for commands like

unix('csh -c ''ls''');

(which are written into TMW's code). Removing /etc/csh.cshrc
also helps (but I don't want to remove that as a permanent solution).

Now, this may have something to do with the new(er) bash...but
I'm not sure exactly how or how to make those errors go away.
Has anyone else encountered this?

Rich.