Re: bug ?: Disappearing DOS partitions (fwd)

On Sun, 5 Oct 1997, Adrian Bridgett wrote:

> > Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
> >      phys=(259, 15, 63) logical=(64, 63, 63)
>
> Have you changed your BIOS settings - LBA <-> Large <-> CHS? This might
> have messed something up.
>
> Adrian

I never changed anything in the BIOS setup, but I did type

	linux hda=3146,16,63
(which is the cylinders,heads,sectors/track geometry of my HD)

at the installation boot prompt.  Linux would not install properly if I
let it read the logical geometry from Bios.  Yet, I did not want to
change the BIOS because that would have buggered up my DOS setup.

And please note, the partitions were there for several days, readable
under both DOS and Linux, then, presto chango, DOS couldn't see them
anymore but Linux still can.

Does this give you any further ideas ?

Thanks.

Gerald Crimp