xntpd/clock/adjtimex questions

I have tried to make sense of the documents and man pages for these
commands, but still am alittle confused.

I have run xntpd for about 6 hours, and have checked the ntp.drift file
and the tick & frequency values that come from adjtimex --compare.

There seems to be no correlation between these numbers. I thought that
ntp.drift was the 'drift' of the system clock from real time, in parts per
million. 1ppm = .0864 seconds/day

Which numbers do i use to set my system clock, The value of ntp.drift or
the tick & frequency?

How should the first value of /etc/adjtime be calculated?

No machines in my network will have a permanent connection, and only 1 of
them will have part time(2 hours/day) connectivity.

Or am i looking at this all wrong and the /etc/adjtime file is for
correcting the rtc?

I would like as accurate a time server that I can get, within the limits
of my network.

Insights, comments, or instructions will be greatly appreciated.

--
Walter L. Preuninger II                        waldo @ irc.wasteland.org:#unix
walterp@rapidramp.com                         http://www.rapidramp.com/~walterp

                  L  I  N  U  X  Where You Really Should Be!