Re: Gcc prints NAN for floats that are not NANs

> I have ported some code from Sparc to Intel. The code works fine except it
> prints NaNs for some floats that are not NaNs at all. One of my co-workers
> suggested I run the same code (of course compiled) on FreeBsd and see if
> the NaNs appear. The FreeBsd code does not produce the NaNs. I have
> searched the Web for Gcc and Nans and the closest I have come accross was
> a mention of this problem on  the Alpha chips and not Intel processors.
> (Does that mean Intel copied that much from Digital that they too have
> NaNs for usual float? :) :) )
>
> So any expert out there where should I look further?

Dunno if I may call myself an expert, but something that would really
help in diagnosing the problem, is to try to reduce the code to a small
code snippet that produces the problem.  It is hard to comment without
seeing any actual code.  The simple fact that code seems to work
correctly on one system (FreeBSD) doesn't mean it is necessarily
correct, as I discovered myself more than once :(.  Did you try the gcc
newsgroups?

Eric Meijer

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032