Gcc prints NAN for floats that are not NANs

I have ported some code from Sparc to Intel. The code works fine except it
prints NaNs for some floats that are not NaNs at all. One of my co-workers
suggested I run the same code (of course compiled) on FreeBsd and see if
the NaNs appear. The FreeBsd code does not produce the NaNs. I have
searched the Web for Gcc and Nans and the closest I have come accross was
a mention of this problem on  the Alpha chips and not Intel processors.
(Does that mean Intel copied that much from Digital that they too have
NaNs for usual float? :) :) )

So any expert out there where should I look further?

Daniel J. Mashao --
   daniel@comgate.ee.uct.ac.za             http://www.ee.uct.ac.za/~daniel