RE: Wierd crankiness update

Looks to me like your /dev directory might have been stepped on.  Looks like
/dev/tty is a regular file created by the redirected output of the echo.

You might delete /dev/tty and create a new device.

I think the command would be:

mknod /dev/tty c 5 0

but someone might want to correct me on that.

It is owned

root tty

on my machine.