Re: Wierd crankiness update

On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, Darin Johnson wrote:

> Regarding my problem with login/passwd/su failing, I've tracked
> it a bit further.  It seems that getpass() is failing, and more, that
> it's actually /dev/tty that's completely screwed up.
>
> Symptoms:
>   $ echo howdy > /dev/tty
>   $ cat /dev/tty
>   howdy
>   $ cat /dev/tty
>   howdy
>   $

Are you sure /dev/tty is a device and not a regular file? Try this:

$ ls -l /dev/tty
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys        5,   0 Apr  5  1997 /dev/tty
$

If it is different from this (apart from the date), there probably is
something wrong. If it is different, try this as root:
# rm /dev/tty
# /dev/MAKEDEV tty
# ls -l /dev/tty
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys        5,   0 Oct  8 00:07 /dev/tty
#

Remco