How to use the Compose key?

> To be concrete: Which key or combination of keys do I have to press to
> be able to compose something like ê or á? (I did this with emacs in
> the iso-accents-mode).  Is it the same for the console and in X?
>
> Where can I read on how to define the compose key?

For testing purposes, I've added a compose key as my F11 key like so:

$ xmodmap -e "keycode 95 = Multi_key"

But when I press [Multi_key] followed by apostrophe followed by [e],
nothing is entered and I hear a beep.

I was expecting to see: é

How does this work?
--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist             <galbraith@mixing.qc.dfo.ca>
Maurice-Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada