ls no display directory

Howdy all........:-)

I inadvertently typed " cd\ " (without the quotes) while
at the root prompt. I got a what looked like a DOS prompt
" > " (again without the quotes) so I am assuming that
somehow I switched over to DOS mode somehow.  I haven't
even looked at running stuff from the DOS side yet as I
have been concentrating on learning linux syntax,
installing etc.

Anyways to make a long story short, now whenever I try to
do a directory listing of root with " ls " (yes indeed,
without the quotes) no directory names/files are
displayed.  If I switch to a subdirectory or do a "ls"
(yep, you guessed it!<g>) with full directory path, then
ls seems to work just fine.....it's only in the root
directory that names aren't displayed.

Any clues on this strange behaviour anyone?
Thanks.....:-)

Opps, almost forgot!  How does one go about displaying
which directory they are in as part of the prompt?

eg:  etc/foo/bar#

rather than just having the "#" displayed (Need I
mention about the quotes? <g>)

"It's A Magical World, Hobbes, Ol' Buddy... ...Let's Go Exploring !"