Re: losing track
In a post Marc.Fleureck@cmlag.fgov.be (Marc Fleureck) wrote:
>I run debian 1.3/kernel 2.0.30 and have PCMCIA card 3C562D/563D.
>I am trying to access the network.
>I began installing pcmcia-cs 2.9.5-3 together with pcmcia-modules
>2.9.5-3. So I had to upgrade to kernel 2.0.30, which I did.
>This still gave problems when starting PCMCIA (it finds the adapter,
>but says 'loading failed, the module symbols from linux-2.0.30 don't
>match your linux-2.0.30')
>So I got the kernel-source to recompile pcmcia. I needed dpkg-dev to
>use dpkg-source to extract the kernel-sources (dpkg-source -x) But this
>required unstable versions of it, which needed again other unstable
>So, every (unstable) package I try to install complains about
>dpkg-dev --> dpkg --> binutils --> gcc --> cpp --> ncurses, and so on.
>Is this the normal way to do this ?
Naw. You're doin' it the hard way.
I just did this yesterday on a TP755C and it was a piece of
cake. Follow this:
1) Get the STABLE debian package
2) Remove any previous kernel source you have from /usr/src
3) Install the kernel-source-2.0.3_2.0.30-7.deb package
4) Make sure there's a link
/usr/src/linux -> /usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.30
5) Follow the instructions in /usr/src/linux/README for building a new
kernel. Including the removes in /usr/include and subsequent logical
6) Build a new kernel.
7) Test the new kernel. (Be sure and keep the old one around and some
method of booting it just in case).
8) Now install the pcmcia-cs stuff. I did NOT use a debian package. I
did it from the pcmcia distribution.
9) That's it. I was off to the races and the combo 33.6+10Mb Megahertz
PCMCIA card is working like a champ.
Well, I haven't really tried the modem, other than issuing a
few AT commands, but the ethernet part is working without a hitch. I
did have to edit the file /etc/pcmcia/network.opts manually, but it
If you need help beyond the above drop me a note!
TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THIS MAILING LIST: e-mail the word "unsubscribe" to
Trouble? e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org .