Re: group 'wheel'

On Thu, 2 Oct 1997, Ulf Jaenicke-Roessler wrote:

>  I installed the secure-su package and there is a config file
>  in /etc which can be used to restrict the access to 'su' on
>  members of the group 'wheel'.
>  I also heard of this group in conjunction with wu-ftpd (but I
>  haven't installed this).
>
>  What's so special with 'wheel' and why don't we have such a group
>  in Debian?

'wheel' was traditionally the name of the group with GID 0, the 'root'
group is our equivilant.  Some people believe in controling their systems
so that only certain people can use su, feeling that this is more secure
(it may or may not be).  The version of su written by the FSF doens't
support this option, although secure-su does.