Re: mke2fs

On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, Philippe Troin wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Sep 1997 23:32:21 PDT David Stern (kotsya@u.washington.edu)
>  wrote:
>
> > I'm having an irregular experience with mke2fs.  I'm attempting to
> > format /dev/sda16 and message says:
> >
> > >  debian# mke2fs -v /dev/sda16
> > >  mke2fs 1.10, 24-Apr-97 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
> > >  /dev/sda16 is entire device, not just one partition!
> > >  Proceed anyway? (y,n)
> >
> > But /dev/sda16 is just a 500MB partition, not an entire device:
> > [...]
> > I tried changing the beginning and ending cylinders, to no avail.  Why
> > does mke2fs think /dev/sda16 is the entire drive?
>
> Because /dev/sda16 has major 8, minor 16, which is the major/minor
pair for /dev/sdb: look at 'ls -l /dev/sda16 /dev/sdb'. BTW, you have
created sda16 yourself didn't you :-)
> There is an infortunate 15 partition limit on PCs.

I think anyone who installed Debian 1.3 with the 1997-05-30 installation
floppies will have exactly the same devices. All mine do.

Now I feel guilty for complaining that Debian 1.2 only had sdx1 through 8
(which bit me badly).

[BTW I think you posted that "Because /dev ... didn't you :-)"
all on one line.]

--
David Wright, Open University, Earth Science Department, Milton Keynes MK7 6AA
U.K.  email: d.wright@open.ac.uk  tel: +44 1908 653 739  fax: +44 1908 655 151