Re: mke2fs

On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, David Stern wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, Philippe Troin wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 29 Sep 1997 23:32:21 PDT David Stern (kotsya@u.washington.edu)
> >  wrote:
> >
> > > I tried changing the beginning and ending cylinders, to no avail.  Why
> > > does mke2fs think /dev/sda16 is the entire drive?
> >
> > Because /dev/sda16 has major 8, minor 16, which is the major/minor pair
> > for /dev/sdb: look at 'ls -l /dev/sda16 /dev/sdb'. BTW, you have
> > created sda16 yourself didn't you :-)
>
> I created it during the install procedure manually, yes.

You created the device (with mknod), or created the partition? Do you have
(as I do)
/dev/sda16 = /dev/sdb
/dev/sdb16 = /dev/sdc
/dev/sdc16 = /dev/sdd
/dev/sdd16 = /dev/sde
/dev/sde16 = /dev/sdf
/dev/sdf16 = /dev/sdg
/dev/sdg16 = /dev/sdh
--
David Wright, Open University, Earth Science Department, Milton Keynes MK7 6AA
U.K.  email: d.wright@open.ac.uk  tel: +44 1908 653 739  fax: +44 1908 655 151