Re: I can't boot or install Linux

On Sat, 27 Sep 1997, Zouave wrote:

> My computer has an Intel 486 dx4 100Mhz processor, 36MB RAM, 515MB hard
> disk, 3 1/2 '' floppy, CD-ROM 20x, HP Deskjet 540 printer, Logitech
> SoundManWave (sound card), Modem hayes compatible 33600 bps, mouse Logitech
> Standard, Scanner Logitech ScanMan Color Pro 2000, Windows 95.
>
> My computer can't boot from a CD, so I made the "rescue disk". Linux begins
> to boot from the floppy when I press enter after the "boot:" prompt, but it
> stops at the line:
>             md driver 0.35 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAX_REAL=8
>
> When the line above appears the sistem stops booting, it does NOT read the
> disk, I must reset the computer.

I think I remember having had this once with an amd486dx40 on a vesa
localbus motherboard. Does that sound familiar to you or does your
machine have a pci bus?

Anyway, I solved my problem by booting a leaner kernel that I had built
on another machine. It included a lot less drivers for hardware that was
not in the box anyway and that would possibly be causing problems.

If you do not have easy access to a machine that can build a tailor-made
kernel for you, then you might get some more mileage out of the standard
kernel by removing as much hardware from the machine as possible and
booting with only cpu, ram, harddisk (if the cdrom is an atapi/ide model
then it should be ok too) and floppy drive.

Good luck,

Joost