I can't boot or install Linux

Hi,
My computer has an Intel 486 dx4 100Mhz processor, 36MB RAM, 515MB hard
disk, 3 1/2 '' floppy, CD-ROM 20x, HP Deskjet 540 printer, Logitech
SoundManWave (sound card), Modem hayes compatible 33600 bps, mouse Logitech
Standard, Scanner Logitech ScanMan Color Pro 2000, Windows 95.

My computer can't boot from a CD, so I made the "rescue disk". Linux begins
to boot from the floppy when I press enter after the "boot:" prompt, but it
stops at the line:
            md driver 0.35 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAX_REAL=8

When the line above appears the sistem stops booting, it does NOT read the
disk, I must reset the computer.

What can I do to boot and install Linux (it's Linux Debian 1.3.1 GNU)?

Thank you,

Alex.