Re: Q: Programming for console and X11?

On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, Dirk Luetjens wrote:

> I wanted to write an aplication which is capable of running in a graphics
> mode but also on a text console. I though of having the same look & feel
> in both modes. Since is only uses buttons, checkboxes, selection lists and
> tabulars it should be possible to provide a console equivalent.
> In case of the console, window/buttons/... are drawn with characters and
> colors.

The Deity project is developing a set of widgets much like you describe,
but they are not really done yet.

> I wanted to use different software layers to hide the UI Interface
> routines from the application code in the following way.
>
>              application
>            wrapper classes   <- layout description file
>                   ^
>  DISPLAY not set / \ DISPLAY set
>                 /   \
>          console     some gui toolkit
>             ^           |
>            / \         X11
>    keyboard   mouse

It works out better if you do:
                   Application

                    Widget Lib  <--- Input (X11, keyboard, mouse)

                  Drawing Primitives
                 console       X11

Attempting to force an existing gui toolkit into that sort of model is
pretty nasty. The shared code between the text/gui widgets is extremely
high.

Jason