Re: General mail setup

>> Hi,
>> Sometimes when I check my mail with fetchmail I see the messages fly by:
>> reading... flushed.... and so on.  But when I go to
>> /var/spool/mail/$USER, it's not there -- I've lost many important
>> messages this way. Can somebody advise me what to do?
>> Also, how can I setup pppd so that some ( ip-up ) script is executed --
>> get mail, news, etc...  I read the PPP-FAQ, but they didn't go into
>> that.

 What MTA are you using? Is Procmail installed? What says .fetchmailrc?

 ---
  According to pppd man page the ip-up script is run when the link is up, and
  this seems to be the default setting with Debian.  You'd propably have to
  recompile pppd in case you want to change this.
  I have the following:

 exim -qf                        <<- send outgoing messages
 fetch     		         <<- fetch news (fetch is in Leafnode-package, which is
			  similar to fetchmai, but for news.)

 I think the following will work with fetchmail to get the messages:

 su -c fetchmail USERNAME

 Just put your username in guess-where. As ip-up is runs as root, this will run fetchmail
 with your userid.

 Note that I'm using Exim and leafnode, with Smail I think there's runq to kick mail out.

>> [I use Debian 1.3.1]
>>

>> Thank you very much for your help,
>> Nikita

  Hope this helps!