General mail setup

Hi,
Sometimes when I check my mail with fetchmail I see the messages fly by:
reading... flushed.... and so on.  But when I go to
/var/spool/mail/$USER, it's not there -- I've lost many important
messages this way. Can somebody advise me what to do?
Also, how can I setup pppd so that some ( ip-up ) script is executed --
get mail, news, etc...  I read the PPP-FAQ, but they didn't go into
that.

[I use Debian 1.3.1]

Thank you very much for your help,
Nikita