MC and .deb files (was Re: extract only PART of an archive)

On Sat, 27 Sep 1997, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> I use Midnight Commander for this. It has a feature that lets you "dive"
> into a .deb file (it may require a patch to mc.ext, see below) and "view"
> the contents. You can also copy any file you see "out" to another
> directory using Midnight Commander.
>
> As I said, some of the latest version of mc don't have the following patch
> applied. It is simply a matter of checking /etc/mc/mc.ext to see if it
> contains the following:

[...]
> +# deb
> +regex/\.deb$
> +	Open=%cd deb:%d/%p/
> +	View=%view{ascii} dpkg-deb -c %f
> +

I think the problem was that the patch was applied (it's right at the
start of the file), but the output was left as /etc/mc.ext and not
/etc/mc/mc.ext (this is version 3.5.17-1). So it's enough to copy the
former to the latter.
--
David Wright, Open University, Earth Science Department, Milton Keynes MK7 6AA
U.K.  email: d.wright@open.ac.uk  tel: +44 1908 653 739  fax: +44 1908 655 151