Re: Netscape Default window size+Debian Linux Book?

On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, InvisibLe wrote:

> I just installed netscape for debian and i have one problem that
> is really annoying me when i start netscape,netscape mail,netscape
> news,etc,there window size is so big that i have to udjust it every
> time is there a way or a file that i could adjust so this wont happen

yes, there are several ways of doing it.

the way i do it involves changing the window manager config file. i use
fvwm95, so that's "/etc/X11/fvwm95/system.fvwm2rc95-menu".  this file
is a template which contains the basic fvwm95 config (including the
button bar with netscape icon) and hooks for update-menus to create
all the debian menus.

edit this file and change the line that looks like:

             Action 'Exec "Netscape" netscape -geometry 920x622+90+5 &')
to:
             Action 'Exec "Netscape" netscape &')

(or whatever -geometry setting you prefer).

then run "update-menus" to recreate the fvwm95 menu.  remember to restart
fvwm95.

the only drawback with this method is that you'll probably have to do it
again the next time you upgrade the fvwm95 package.

on my system, i run "/usr/local/bin/netscape" rather than just "netscape".
this is a shell script which looks like:

    #!/bin/ash

    MOZILLA_HOME=/usr/local/netscape
    export MOZILLA_HOME

    XKEYSYMDB=/usr/local/netscape/XKeysymDB
    export XKEYSYMDB

    exec /usr/local/netscape/netscape $@

this works for me with netscape 4.03.  your mileage may vary. season
according to taste.

> and another question are there any Debian Linux user books out there
> if not what linux book would be a good companion for debian Linux?

i don't think there are any debian specific books at the moment.  there's
been some talk of writing one by a few people but i don't know what's
happened to that project.

here's a few titles worth having:

_The Linux Bible_ is useful.  all the HOWTOs and LDP docs in one H U G E
printed book.

O'Reilly & Associates' _Essential System Administration_ is a great book
on unix admin.  I believe that ORA now have a similar title which is
focused on linux.

The _Unix System Administration Handbook_ by Nemeth, Snyder, and
Seebass.  I only have the first edition which is a bit dated by now (and
oriented more towards BSD than SysV), but it's a good comprehensive
introduction to unix.  Easy to read for a novice without being
insultingly patronising.

craig

--
craig sanders
networking consultant                  Available for casual or contract