Re: extract only PART of an archive

On Fri, 26 Sep 1997, Will Lowe wrote:

> I need to extract JUST ONE of the files in a .deb ....
>
> I've searched through the dpkg info and man pages and haven't found any
> way to do this (I might be blind, though).  Is there anyway to do it with
> out doing
>
> dpkg -R /tmp/ file.deb
>
> and then moving the one file and clearing /tmp?

I use Midnight Commander for this. It has a feature that lets you "dive"
into a .deb file (it may require a patch to mc.ext, see below) and "view"
the contents. You can also copy any file you see "out" to another
directory using Midnight Commander.

As I said, some of the latest version of mc don't have the following patch
applied. It is simply a matter of checking /etc/mc/mc.ext to see if it
contains the following:

directory/^.*$
	View=%view{ascii,nroff} echo "_D_i_r_e_c_t_o_r_y"; echo %d/%p
	Icon=plain_dir.xpm

+# deb
+regex/\.deb$
+	Open=%cd deb:%d/%p/
+	View=%view{ascii} dpkg-deb -c %f
+
# ls-lR
regex/^ls-?lR$
	Open=%cd lslR:%d/%p/
	View=%view{ascii}

I find this feature of mc to be very useful in "peeking" into a .deb file
to see just what is there. If you need to extract control files or the
other scripts that install the package use the -e or --control option on
dpkg. The -x or --extract option will extract the rest of the contents.

Luck,

Dwarf