dpkg and dselect

Howdy all........:-)

First off, many thanks to the people who responded to my DOSKey and file format queries.  Lots
of great information sent my way and much appreciated at this end!  :-)

Quick recap of my problem here:

The Rescue/Base installation refuses to install LILO on my system.  The boot disk refuses to
boot up because, AFAIK, LILO isn't installed on the harddrive.  Changed the reference in
SYSLINUX.CFG on the floppy boot disk to:

APPEND root=/dev/fd0 ro

from

APPEND root=/dev/hda6 ro

When prompted for the root floppy I used the file image floppy generated by ROOT.BIN......still
the system won't boot.

OK, I thought did I, no problem, I will just do a LILO manual install with the LILO_19-2.deb
file I grabbed off the Debian site and tweak it from there.  Read the information on dpkg and
dselect in the debian and install docs.........booted the Rescue floppy and went into the shell.
>From what I can see, neither dpkg or dselect is included (or can be run from the shell) in the
base installation setup.  (ARRRGGGGHHHHH..........did I mention yet that I'm having fun?
<grin>).

I seemed to have reached a Catch-22 stage here and am no longer sure how to proceed on
rectifying this problem...........any words of wisdom for this confused but enthusiastic newbie
would be greatly appreciated.  :-)

"It's A Magical World, Hobbes, Ol' Buddy... ...Let's Go Exploring !"