Re: IEEE POSIX Standards and Linux

On Sep 25, Mario de Mello B. Neto wrote
>   I am a Linux user and I need information regarding linux (debian,RedHat,
> Slackware) and its conformance to IEEE POSIX standards, specially those
> that Microsoft Windows NT is not compliant.

I'm nowhere near a standards expert, but I suspect most Linux distributions
are in effect POSIX.1 compliant, or very close.

[extracted from http://www.lasermoon.co.uk/ft2/FT2.html]
| The NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology) have made the
| POSIX.1 FIPS151-2 test suites freely available and as such the kernel and
| relevant libraries have been made Conformant and are already freely
| available.

These test suites can be found on Debian mirrors as
project/misc/NIST-PCTS_151-2.tar.gz . You might one to check them out.

On Sep 25, Britton wrote
> From what I have heard, this could be tricky.  It seems amazing, but the
> IEEE, in it's infinite wisdom, has decided that people should pay to find
> out about some of the standards it issues.  Anyone know if this is still
> the case?

Probably. The development of standards by standards organizations is often
financed by selling the standards.

HTH,
Ray
Ray