Re: dpkg and dselect

In message <[🔎] 199709260802.BAA07138@bossie.cow-net.com>, writes:
  >Quick recap of my problem here:

Can you post what error messages you see?  It would make diagnosis a lot
easier.

  >The Rescue/Base installation refuses to install LILO on my system.  The boot
      > disk refuses to
  >boot up because, AFAIK, LILO isn't installed on the harddrive.

If the boot disk doesn't load, what do you see? Is it a bootable floppy?

Do you see any letters of the word 'LILO'?

  >                                                              Changed the
      >reference in
  >SYSLINUX.CFG on the floppy boot disk to:
  >
  >APPEND root=/dev/fd0 ro
  >
  >from
  >
  >APPEND root=/dev/hda6 ro

I don't think that this has anything to do with lilo.  Whatever is done with
lilo has to be written into the boot sector, so changing a configuration
file alone will have no effect.

  >When prompted for the root floppy I used the file image floppy generated by
      >ROOT.BIN......still
  >the system won't boot.
  >
  >OK, I thought did I, no problem, I will just do a LILO manual install with t
      >he LILO_19-2.deb
  >file I grabbed off the Debian site and tweak it from there.  Read the inform
      >ation on dpkg and
  >dselect in the debian and install docs.........booted the Rescue floppy and
      >went into the shell.
  >From what I can see, neither dpkg or dselect is included (or can be run from
      > the shell) in the
  >base installation setup.

dpkg is at /usr/bin/dpkg; it is part of the base system, and essential, but
    I do not know whether it is actually part of the four base diskettes
lilo is in /sbin/lilo

Isle of Wight                                  http://lfix.co.uk/oliver

     Make it idiot-proof, and someone will breed a better idiot.