Re: serial port speed

David Wright wrote:

 > Perhaps there's some history here. I installed Debian 1.3 on a 1997
 > pentium and   setserial -a /dev/ttyS?   all say that baud_base is 115200
 > and Flags: spd_normal...
 > Both mgetty and minicom will satisfactorily handle 115200, so all this
 > messing with spd_vhi seems to be a thing of the past. Presumably, by now,
 > any software that can't ask for >38400 should have a bug report filed
 > against it.

Unless you care about POSIX compliance.  IIRC baud_base and whatever's the
option to specify divisor allow you to use any clock frequency on your
serial port -- as long as hardware supports it.  Very neat, but non-POSIX.
Which means if software relies on it, it's not POSIX compliant. Conversely,
software that asks for 38400 is POSIX compliant and (hopefully) portable.
So, you're suggesting that POSIX compliance is a bug, and so is
portability :-) -- well, not exactly: that absence of non-standard and
non-portable features is a bug.

Just kidding
--
Dimitri