Multiple network cards. ARGH!

Ok, let's see if I can describe my problem in a little more detail.

I have a debian 1.3.1 system with two ethernet cards on it. Booting up
into DOS, the two cards are:

1) IRQ 9, IO 300, BNC
2) IRQ 5, IO 320, 10bT

They are both NE2000 cards.

Trying to define these using ifconfig I get errors like:
SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device

I'm really getting lost and confused-- I have NE network cards compiled into
the kernel (not in a module). I have append = "ether=0,0,eth1" in the
/etc/lilo.conf, like in the multiple ethernet mini-howto.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

---Michael Patterson