Re: Infomagic LDR debian, and, What's Hamm and Bo?

On Mon, 22 Sep 1997, Robert Grunloh wrote:

> But before I can do this, I have to ask: I've read the Debian FAQ on the
> web page, the part that explains the directory tree at the ftp sites; but
> what it should explain but doesn't is, what is hamm and bo? I see mention
> of these terms in announcements of new packages and on the lists but
> nowhere is there a definition, or historical explanation; leaving
> me to conclude that they must refer to hidden directories of proprietary
> commercial code without source, or something ;-)

Bo is the current stable release; hamm is unstable. The names are just
codenames, which never change. This prevents mirror sites from downloading
an entire distribution when unstable -> frozen -> stable. The latter are
links; the codenames stay the same.

For some reason, some people object to the user of these codenames (don't
ask me why; every project in real life has a codename) so I think they've
dropped out of the FAQ (they would be in 5.7).
--
David Wright, Open University, Earth Science Department, Milton Keynes MK7 6AA
U.K.  email: d.wright@open.ac.uk  tel: +44 1908 653 739  fax: +44 1908 655 151