Re: ESS vs SB16 sound cards?

>By "ESS" I'm assuming you mean Ensoniq SoundScape.

ESS and Ensoniq are two different companies. Regarding
ESS, the ESS 688 and ESS1688 sucks. However, I am told
that the ESS 1888 (?) is supposed to be ok.

>Some of the mixer controls on the card are different from SB.  That makes
>it a bit challenging to use under Linux.  For example, the MIDI mixer
>interface is propritary.  Last time I checked, unless you buy the
>commercial version of the Linux sound driver, you can't mix MIDI.

I assume you have the Vivo 90 card. I believe the other Soundscape
cards are fully supported in OSS lite. Not sure though.

Stig Are M. Botterli | "Always let people think you're dumber than
stiga@himolde.no     | you really are, they'll underestimate you.