Problem with building of debian packages

	Hello Debian developers & users!

Last time I needed to recompile after small modification one of debian
packages (mgetty - because the autodetection procedure did not recognize
correctly my modem). Unfortunately building of this package lead to error
message at the final step of the whole procedure:

Error occuring in dpkg-gencontrol:
dpkg-gencontrol -pmgetty
dpkg-gencontrol: failure: chown new files list file: Illegal seek
make: *** [binary-arch] Error 29

I thought that the problem is in the mgetty's source tree, so I tried to
rebuild some others packages - results were the same or pretty the same:
Errors occured in dpkg-gencontrol, and sometimes in dpkg-shlibdeps.

Error occuring in dpkg-shlibdeps:
dpkg-shlibdeps: failure: chown of `debian/substvars.new': No such file or
directory

Lines causing error were the only lines where "@fowner" variable is used.
I'm not Perl programmer, but anyway it seems to me, that this variable is
not initialized neither in dpkg-gencontrol nor in dpkg-shlibdeps.
I'm using debmake ver. 3.3.1, dpkg ver. 1.4.0.8, dpkg-dev ver. 1.4.0.8 &
perl ver. 5.003.07-10

What can be the reason of my problem?
Please answer preferrably by e-mail to wzab@ipe.pw.edu.pl

			Thank you in advance