Re: SB AWE 64 versus Soft. Syns. for making midi... Also, m

>>> I figure that maybe I can spend the money on a midi-compatable
>>> keyboard instead. Anyone with exp. on using one of those under
>>> Linux? I saw a keyboard for about $170 at Electronic Boutique, which
>>> was basically one devoted to Midi, without any samples built in. That
>>> seems to be the cheapest I can find which lets you connect it to a
>>> computer....?
>>
>> If you want to be really cool, buy a keyboard with weighted keys (feeling
>> like a piano). Takes about $1000 :(. Seek a Keyboard with big keys (not the
>> baby ones), and with touch sensitive keys. A pedal is nice, as are
>> modulation and pitch bend function. You don't need any samples or demo songs
>> (burb), but a midi connection. Good keyboards have midi anyway.
>
> When I talked to my local dealer (which apparently is the only way Roland
> sells things?) they said $1500 for weighted key model.  Of course it had
> tons of sounds and other functions (many of which I wouldn't really know
> how to do in software).  Can you even get weighted keys without all this
> extra stuff?  What model was it you saw that went for only $1000?  It
> seems the like to reserve this feature for their expensive models, which I
> think at this point is a remarkably bad strategy.  Mayby it's time for a
> new manufacturer to enter the scene.
>
> The Roland PC-200 mkII is a pretty good MIDI keyboard for use with
> computers.  It has bend/modulate, velocity sensitive keys, a connection
> for a pedal, and some other functions.  The bad thing is it's keys are
> compact and not weighted.  If you arn't a pianist, spending ~$800 more for
> full size weighted keys might not be worth it.

Yeah, this I agree with this. Big and weighted keys are nice, but I
don't think it is nescessary for most people. Actually, if you are
used to typing a lot, non-weighted has a somewhat similar feel to a
computer keyboard, IMHO.

BTW, the $170 keyboard had bend/modulate, pitch controls, and some
other things on it. Not sure about a pedal port. I think it even had
some things like reverb control on it.

And if you get a Software Synthesizer which has a driver that directs
midi calls to it, (For win95 anyways. Not sure exactly how it works
with Linux), then you should be able to do things like "play" the
keyboard in realtime, and play tracks in a sequencer. That is with a
keyboard with no sound of its own, and a non-wavetable soundcard.

Shawn