ESS vs SB16 sound cards?

 With the ESS 16-bit sound cards about $20 cheaper than the SB16 stuff,
I'd consider getting one. How good is the ESS support under Linux? How
about DOS? (I'd like 16-bit sound for the few DOS games I play, and so
far as I know the ESS cards are only compatible with the (8-bit) SB Pro.

 Does anyone have any info or recommendations? Thanks!

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles         (248) 377-7735        ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

 "Suffering is good for the soul, but it is usually best to wait until
  the body has no choice in the matter."  -  Stephen Donaldson