Re: switching from ide to scsi

On Tue, 9 Sep 1997 mfrattola@mail.enjoy.it wrote:

> Hi all,
> I decided to go the right way with one of my server and use scsi disk instead
> of ide. That machine has already got a scsi controller (aha2940) that drives
> a dat tape, so I only need to buy a scsi disk.
> That machine is using debian 1.1 on ide and will probably use 1.2 on scsi.
> What would be the best way to move data (and all) from the old ide disk to the
> new scsi one?
> Since that machine is a main server and need maximum uptime, downtime has to
> be as low as possible. These are my questions:
> - installing debian on scsi before moving data is not a problem, if I can plug
>   in the scsi disk, install debian on it, move data and then unplug ide, but
>   I don't know if this is doable (I read about having problems with ide+scsi
>   disks in the same machine). Can I test the new installation without removing
>   the old ide disk (just in case ..)?

Hi Marco, I had missed this message before, sorry. You are much more an
expert sysadmin than I am, anyway here I am: I have _no_problems_ here on
a P90 with:

o   a small IDE disk taken away from an old 286 and connected to one of
    two (ISA + PCI) on-board IDE controllers (what a waste on this Intel
    Premiere motherboard), the PCI one (but with the ISA one it works the
    same)
  +
o   SCSI disk connected to an Adaptec 2940.

    The only thing is that the bios does not allow me to say "SCSI
_before_ IDE", so LILO has to stay on the IDE disk.

> - I know I could back up all the ide disk (maybe with tar? to cope with device
>   files?) and then untar, but I know I should at least be careful with:
>   - changing mounts (hda? to sda?)
>   - rerunning lilo on scsi after changing lilo.conf
>   - anything else?

Yes, you have to change some characters in /etc/fstab on the destination
root, possibly not only hda to sda but also some number may change of
partitions you use to mount and you have moved to the SCSI disk.

BTW, I usually avoid to spread links to mount points with name reflecting
the actual location of the device, and in case I really want things such
as /mnt/ide1/ or /mnt/ext2_2/ then I put symbolic links in /mnt/ with a
more generical name to use in links, e.g.:

nick:~# ls -la /mnt
total 8
drwxr-x---   8 root     users        1024 Jun 15 20:04 ./
drwxr-xr-x  18 root     root         1024 Aug 15 20:34 ../
drwxr-xr-x   4 root     root         1024 Jun 15 18:55 ext2_2/
drwx------   2 root     root         1024 Apr 11 20:04 fat1/
drwx------   2 root     root         1024 Apr 11 20:04 fat2/
drwx------   2 root     floppy       1024 Apr 11 20:04 floppy/
drwx------   2 root     root         1024 Apr 11 20:04 hpfs1/
drwxr-xr-x   4 root     root         1024 Jun 15 20:05 ide1/
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            6 Jun 15 19:31 linuxAux1 -> ext2_2/
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            4 Jun 15 20:04 linuxAux2 -> ide1/
nick:~#

A few months ago I used to keep 2-3 Linux distributions working, and
moving from one to a more recent version I used to put such symbolic links
with names such as /mnt/linuxOld and - the other way - /mnt/linuxNew; then
after deciding I could definitely drop the older installation I just
checked that anything previously shared - home dirs with mail, development
stuff, ... - had been moved, e.g.:
     find / -lname "*linuxOld*" -exec ls -l -d {} \;

> Any advice is welcome.
> --
> ||    || |||||||  Marco Frattola                     Microsoft is not the answer
> ||`..'|| |||...   Piacenza, Italy                    Microsoft is the question
>

> --

     Ciao Marco.

     Nicola Bernardelli <nbern@mail.protos.it>
messages will return even when I'm not at home.