Re: Debian & Adaptec AHA 2840VL/2842VL

Otavio Exel wrote:

> I'm trying to install Debian 1.3.1 with an Adaptec AHA 2840VL/2842VL
> SCSI card; while the RESC1440 disk is beeing loaded I get a lot of error
> messages; some of them are:
> - encountered spurious interrupt
> - failed to initialize module ?????
> - In swapper task - not syncing
> ..and it hangs!

I've had a lot of trouble with the debian rescue disk and the 2940 and
the 2842. It seems, that both are confused by the autoprobe procedure of
the debian kernel on the rescue disk (RedHat, Caldera, Suse and
Slackware haven't any problems with these cards).

> I booted with my RedHat 4.12 boot floppy and it looks like RedHat would
> have no problem with this SCSI card; is this kind of hardware support
> distribuition-specific?

Yes, it looks like that!

I solved my problems by compiling a specific kernel (with another
distribution), copied it to the rescue disk und proceeded sucessfully.
Both cards use the same driver (aic7xxx).

Have a nice day and good luck.

Dieter