Re: howto enlarge root partition by merging with other?

Andy Spiegl wrote:
> What I would like to do now is enlarge / by merging it with
> the newly created partition.  Do I have to copy everything
> to a backup, run fdisk and then copy it back?  Or is there
> an easier method?  (No, I don't just want to mount it)
> And is this process really all that easy?  Can I just copy
> the backup on the new, now larger, partition, run lilo and
> it works again?  I don't feel like spending lots of time
> reinstalling debian.

Yes, you can do it that way. It works, I did it many times. Most
important part: RUN LILO, otherwise you won't be able to boot from that
partition.

There is another - more elegant - way: since kernel 2.0.x you can
combine two or more partitions to one big partition. I've stumbled over
this feature while compiling a new kernel and selecting some compile
options. Read the help of the appropriate kernel options and follow the
links. Sorry, I can't be more specific, because my linux box is at home
and I'm writing this from my office win95 computer (shudddddddder!!!). I
haven't tried it by myself, so that's everything I can do for you.

Have a nice day and good luck.

Dieter