Re: kernel 2.0.30 (boot problem)

I'd say you have bad sectors on your harddisk, and it just so happens that
one of those badsectors has wiped out something important. This happened to
me recently. The disk had a three year waranty (seagate) so I returned it
and got a new drive.

It seemed to me that IDE drives are able to recognise their bad sectors and
then avoid writing to them. You can read the man pages for fsck, there is a
process for identifying bad sectors, writing them to a file, and then
feeding the file into mkfs as blocks to avoid. As I said, this didn't seem
necessary with an ide drive. I suppose the really bad thing would be if this
happens to your swap partion.

Solutions? We check your waranty. I have a machine that is running on a disk
with bad sectors. I guess I just know that oneday I may be reinstalling it
at a time not of my choosing.. oh and of course I don't put important data
on it. So if you do keep your drive you may have to repartion and format it,
and start from scratch. Maybe someone else will give you a better solution.

david..

Binary Bar - Australia's first free access internet bar/cafe/gallery.
243 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy, Melbourne, Australia. 12:00pm - 11:00pm
http://www.binary.net.au