Re: Please recommend a quality 4GB hard drive

On Tue, Sep 09, 1997 at 07:41:28PM -0400, Tommy Lakofski wrote:

> I'm using a Seagate 2GB 5400rpm now... hopefully a slow drive won't run
> too hot and kill the bearings... I think if you keep a drive cool it'll
> have a better chance at longevity.

The notice that came with my 7200 rpm Fujitsu M54-summat specified the
maximum operating temperature. Everyone on comp.periphs.scsi said that it
was not a joke, that all 7200 rpm drives had temperature limitations of that
order, and that I could very well fry my drive without a fan. I put in a
thermometer and very quickly decided on a _big_ fan. (An ex-286 power supply
fan, cost 0$0cts :-) ) My drive is _cold_ now :-)

What's this have to do with debian, anyway - I thought Linux was more or
less hardware-independent now ;-)

> If reliability is your primary objective, rather than cost, buy two drives
> and mirror them.

Hear, hear. Not to neglect backups, of course.

--
include <std_disclaim.h>                  Lorens KOCKUM ( kockum@efrei.fr )