Exim, sa (8) problems

Two unrelated problems.

First, exim is acting a bit weird on me.  I installed Debian from the
stable tree last week via ftp.  During the initial setup I chose exim
instead of smail as my MTA ... perhaps this wasn't the way to do it.  I
was trying to avoid dpkg from the command line.  At any rate, any mail
sent to root is not delivered ... it just sits in the queue.  So, I
aliased root mail to go to my account.  When I run Pine, it says the
mailbox is read-only.  The mailbox is there in /var/spool/mail ... I
don't get it.

Second, I installed the GNU accounting utilities.  ac works, but sa core
dumps when I run 'sa -m'.  Admittedly, I'm new to these utilities ...
any hints?  Might I have a corrupt logfile, and if so, what should I do?

Sorry these are a bit vague, I'm late for a meeting :/ If you need more
info, or if I'm missing something incredibly obvious feel free to let me
know :)

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet