Re: root and .rhosts file

	Hi!

> Now I've installed Debian 1.3.1 on another PC, and I can't get this new
> machine to accept root rsh requests from our primary server (running
> SunOS), or any other machine, for that matter. Both Debian machines have
> the same .rhosts file in the root homedir, but the 1.3.1 host gives
> permission denied replies.

This is a feature, not a bug. It is because root is by default allowd login
only on some ttys. On my system (Debian 1.3.1) these ttys are listed in
/etc/securetty and I think this is the default. Also see the CONSOLE entry
in /etc/login.defs and play around with /etc/login.access. In these files you
can turn off the restriction that root cannot log in directly from remote
machines or you can specify the machines from which root can log in,
which is a little better.

	feri.