Re: Increasing DOS partition

On Sat, 6 Sep 1997, Bill Wohler wrote:

>   I just performed some fall cleaning by running a fresh install (like
>   the one-disk install, thanks!).  All went relatively smoothly except
>   on the DOS side.
>
>   I totally repartitioned the disks although I left /dev/sda1 as the
>   DOS partition, only bigger.  cfdisk in Linux showed the increased
>   partition size, fdisk on a DOS boot floppy was also happy, but a
>   "dir" in DOS showed the old size, and a "format /s" also formatted
>   based upon the old size.  One other hint: when I mount the partition
>   from Linux, it also shows the old size.
>
>   Any tips as to how I can format (or whatever) the DOS partition so
>   that the OSs recognize the entire partition?  And hopefully do this
>   without destroying all my work on the other partitions.

Yes, the problem is well-known and documented. You need to read the
cfdisk man page very carefully and backup the partition before you do
the dd. I've not had to do this myself as FIPS was good enough to get
this right.

Good luck.
--
David Wright, Open University, Earth Science Department, Milton Keynes MK7 6AA
U.K.  email: d.wright@open.ac.uk  tel: +44 1908 653 739  fax: +44 1908 655 151