Re: How to upgrade a package safely?

> Then during next booting, kernel complained about missing files and later
> fsck started to fix the filesystem again. After that every command I typed,
> printed file system error messages. And the worst thing was that e2fsck
> couldn't even recognise the file system.

Warning, the following suggestion will destroy any data remaining on the
harddrive.  With that said, run badblocks from a rescue disk on your
harddrive.  Use the -w switch which uses a write test and should pick up
any problems.  Bad blocks wants the block count, which I think you can get
from fdisk.  I personnally first run mke2fs -c /dev/???, see what
badblocks options it uses, cancel mke2fs and run badblocks adding the -w,
go watch some tv, return and run mke2fs.

I say this because your symptoms point to a hardware problem (unless maybe
you are running an unstable kernel from the 2.1 set).  A bad harddrive is
the first thing that comes to mind.  It may be correctable, and badblocks
will let you know if there are problems (I seem to recall using the -o
<filename> option, and passing the file back to mke2fs once).

Anyway, read the man pages of these two, and good luck,
Brandon

-----
Brandon Mitchell                         E-mail: bhmit1@mail.wm.edu
  Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/7877/home.html
                  PGP: finger -l bhmit1@cs.wm.edu
"We all know Linux is great...it does infinite loops in 5 seconds."
	--Linus Torvalds