Re: Building Debian Packages

On Tue, 2 Sep 1997, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Sep 1997, Will Lowe wrote:
>
> > I'd reccomend the "Makeing a debian Package" page,  which is pretty good

> As the author of that article, I am gratified that someone actually finds
> it useful.

Very!

> It's too easy.  This is by design.  My target audience was people like me.

Please keep it this way.  Let's make things as obvious and idiot-proof as
possible.

> It's too hard.  One suggestion I had was to include stuff about gcc
> options, makefiles etc.  There is a need for something like this but it's

Things that probably ought to be included but aren't:
	Specific instructions on what to change in the control, rules,
etc. files.  This isn't very clear,  and requires a lot of hacking around
with source to figure out. While hacking is good for understanding,  you
don't neccessarily need to understand deb-make/dpkg to make a package.

	A *brief* listing of gcc options/makefile stuff.  Only the ones
that are likely to be relevant to your average maintainer who just wants
to run "rules" and have it work.  True gcc hackers/unix gurus will already
know the esoteric stuff they'll need.

	And:
> conf files, install scripts and integrating with the  menu package

> It doesn't explain how to become a Debian maintainer, upload your package
> etc.  I have mixed feelings about this.  You don't need to be Debian
> maintainer to want to create .debs.  Though I am one now, I originally

Righto!  And the "Debian Developer's Reference" covers this in much
detail.  Maybe just a line saying "If you want to become a maintainer and
upload your package,  see the Developer's Reference at http://whatever.";

                     					Will

			         harpo@udel.edu
               		       lowe@cis.udel.edu