Re: internetMCI PPP, large packages

George Cyriac wrote:

>  Hi, I have an internetmci PPP account.  Unfortunately I don't think it is
> possible to start a dial up on my linux box because when you just dial up to
> the internetMCI # it gives me a weird prompt: (0121313249) and then asks me
> to type something, I tried everything PPP, username, yadda yadda, it says
> host not found.  It works with Win 95 dial up?  How DO I make this work?

Did you write your own chat script? The chat script should exit after
reading 'CONNECT' from the modem. MCI wants to authenticate using
PAP or CHAP (most likely PAP since it is more common). You need to
add a parameter to your pppd line. You need 'user <username>' where
'<username>' is the login MCI gave you. You then need to add a line
to /etc/ppp/pap-secrets. It should be:

<username> * <password>

Where you replace <username> and <password> with what MCI gave you.
This should work. If it doesn't, then in order to help you we'll need
more information. Add 'debug' to our pppd command line and then send
us the log which goes to /var/log/ppp.log.

> Also how can I get MS-DOS disks into my linux box?

Two ways. You can "mount" the floppy as a regular part of your file
system. First create a mount-point (read "directory") if one doesn't
exist (name it whatever you like), ie.

mkdir /floppy

Then as root you type:

mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /floppy

If you want to be really fancy and make it so that you can mount the
disk without su-ing to root, add this line to your /etc/fstab:

/dev/fd0 /floppy msdos defaults,noauto,user 0 0

And then to mount it you can type:

mount /floppy

On the other hand you can use the excellent mtools package. Install
the mtools debian package. Then use usual dos commands. Just add
'm' to what you'd usually use, eg. mdir, mcopy, etc. This method
doesn't actually mount the disk.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com