how do I get sound with xquake?

I've installed xquake 1.06-4 on my debian 1.3.1 system. I've also finally
managed to get sound working (at least I can play CD's and cat exmh's
clink.au file to /dev/audio and get a clink sound) with my SB AWE-64.

Is there any way to get sound from xquake?  It's so frustrating not to
hear the monsters roaring behind you....

Since sound was not working when I installed xquake, do I need to
re-install (I've forgotten if there was any configuration run) it?

Thanks,
  Frank