Re: Cursor vanishes when LILO loads and doesn't return

On Tue, 26 Aug 1997, Michael Rokicki wrote:

> *It's probably OK. Send me the contents of /proc/cpuinfo. Is your chip from
> *Intel?
>
> processor	: 0
> cpu		: 386
> model		: unknown
> vendor_id	: unknown
> stepping	: unknown
> fdiv_bug	: no
> hlt_bug		: no
> fpu		: no
> fpu_exception	: no
> cpuid		: no
> wp		: no
> flags		:
> bogomips	: 7.96
>
> That's interesting, my environment has "HOSTTYPE=i586".  It's an AMD chip.

Very interesting is what mine says. I have a true Intel Pentium processor.

/proc/cpuinfo shows:

processor       : 0
cpu             : 586
model           : Pentium 75+
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
stepping        : 5
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid           : yes
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8
bogomips        : 39.73

and HOSTTYPE=i486 (!)

the arch command says it is an i586.

What is wrong here that sets the HOSTTYPE variable to the wrong value?

Remco
--
Jean-Luc Picard: To baldly go where no man has gone before.