Re: Cursor vanishes when LILO loads and doesn't return

> I'm running a 386DX-40 but for some reason it's being listed as an i586
> on start-up.  Any reason I shouldn't continue to ignore this until I get
> to understand the OS better?

*It's probably OK. Send me the contents of /proc/cpuinfo. Is your chip from
*Intel?

processor	: 0
cpu		: 386
model		: unknown
vendor_id	: unknown
stepping	: unknown
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
fpu		: no
fpu_exception	: no
cpuid		: no
wp		: no
flags		:
bogomips	: 7.96

That's interesting, my environment has "HOSTTYPE=i586".  It's an AMD chip.

> Is there a small deb package, I only have a few Mbytes to
> spare, you'd recommen to bridge over from what I've picked up in ms-dos?

*I don't really think so. There is a file manager that looks like Norton
*Commander, but there isn't a good fake DOS environment.

I didn't make myself clear, for example: in ms-dos I used "debug" to put
together the utility needed to turn my cursor back on. It's that type of
knowledge I want to bridge over.  I'm looking for a Debian programming
package that's both compact in size and has good basic doc's to groove me
in to doing things in Linux/Unix.

> I see from the mailing list you hold some position Debian scheme of things,
> what is it?

*I'm the project leader. The big cheese, I guess.

I think you guys are doing a great job!  It's incredible being able to dl
Debian and get it running so easily.

Thanks for your help in getting through the initial confusion.

Michael