Re: shadow and nis (ps.)

Behan Webster wrote:

> > I guess we'll just have to wait for the nis+ support coming with glibc.
> > Doh.
>
> I understand that someone is also working on an nis+ deiban package?
> I look forward to nis+ support in Debian too!

I hope so! I dl'd the source to libc 5.4.33 and looked at the code.
It actually looks like support is in it for NIS+ and /etc/nsswitch.conf.
(Not that it's compiled it, you can configure what you want.) Perhaps
this stuff was broken and that's why the maintainer thought to leave
it out. Or perhaps it just isn't useful because we don't have the
daemon support (ypbind). Anyway, the nys/src/nsw/compat/* seem the
be the routines which support YP (they check the user field for "+",
etc.) and in the compat_shadow.c file I find:

struct spwd *
_compat_getspent(void)
{
    errno = ECONNREFUSED;
    return NULL;
}

struct spwd *
_compat_getspnam(const char *name)
{
    errno = ECONNREFUSED;
    return NULL;
}

Which would seem to definitely indicate that in "compat" mode shadow
passwords are definitely not supported. I didn't look at the source
for /bin/login so I don't know how it deals with both shadow locally
and non-shadow for NIS. I'll leave that mystery to others and eagerly
await debian 1.4 (or is that 2.0?).

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com