Re: shadow and nis

Adriano Nagelschmidt Rodrigues wrote:

> Yes, apparently the clients don't bother to look up the shadow map (or maybe
> there's a protocol error), the error messages are something like "user foo
> doesn't have a password".

It sure seems that way to me too.

> What I did was install shadow in _all_ machines. In the server, I put the
> NIS source password & group files in /var/etc (remember to turn off rx
> permission for others in that dir and adjust /var/yp/Makefile).

Ouch.  But I thought there was a way to get nis to work _with_ shadow.
I mean, the yp Makefile has support for distributing the shadow map.
There's got to be a way to do it.

> * 'finger' appears not to like getting an 'x' instead of the encrypted
>   password ('finger -m foo' works, 'finger foo' only works if you're root).
>
> * yppasswdd wasn't compiled with shadow support, so you can't use yppasswd to
>   change a user's password from your root shell (unless you recompile).

Perhaps these should be reported as bugs?  My impression was that all
Debian packages were to be compiled or patched to work with shadow
passwords.

Thanks,

Behan

--