Re: shadow and nis

Behan Webster writes:
 > For the life of me I can not seem to get nis to work with shadow
 > passwords.  I can get each to work seperately, but not together.
 > Can anyone with experience with using these two together please
 > explain how to set it up properly?  I'm stumped.

Yes, apparently the clients don't bother to look up the shadow map (or maybe
there's a protocol error), the error messages are something like "user foo
doesn't have a password".

What I did was install shadow in _all_ machines. In the server, I put the
NIS source password & group files in /var/etc (remember to turn off rx
permission for others in that dir and adjust /var/yp/Makefile).

Then you have to configure /etc/ypserv.conf so that ypserv mangles the
encrypted password field in the passwd* maps if the client comes from a port >
1024.

Put + entries in the cilents' (and server) passwd & group files. You'll also
need a custom adduser, btw.

Some things that break under this setup:

* 'finger' appears not to like getting an 'x' instead of the encrypted
  password ('finger -m foo' works, 'finger foo' only works if you're root).

* yppasswdd wasn't compiled with shadow support, so you can't use yppasswd to
  change a user's password from your root shell (unless you recompile).

--
Adriano