Re: shadow and nis

Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:

> Behan Webster wrote:
> >
> > For the life of me I can not seem to get nis to work with shadow
> > passwords.  I can get each to work seperately, but not together.
> > Can anyone with experience with using these two together please
> > explain how to set it up properly?  I'm stumped.
>
> Is your server really an NIS+ server? What do you get from ypwhich?
> What happens if you type 'ypcat passwd'?

No we're just running the nis package from Debian.

ypwhich properly lists the nis server that the machine is bound to
(either our nis master or it's slave).  ypcat brings up the password
file, just no passwords.  They're all just "x".  (i.e. the token
saying to go look up the password in the shadow map).

I've 2 nis servers (one master, one slave), both have ypserv.conf
like this:

# Host                       : Map              : Security   :
Passwd_mangle
#
*                            : passwd.byname    : port       : yes
*                            : passwd.byuid     : port       : yes
*                            : *                : none

/var/yp/Makefile has been edited to build and distribute the
shadow.byname map.

All hosts on the net are linux boxes runing Debian 1.3 with the
nis package, and shadowconfig on.

But when you try to login, it says it has an invalid passwd.
Doing a `ypmatch user passwd` as root brings up:

  user:x:123:123:comment:/home/user:/bin/sh

It seems that it isn't properly looking up the shadow password.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Behan

--